Beave's Notes: This page is for "unlocking" the Linksys "Vonage" PAP2 units. I've been buying these units at "Staples" (you can use http://www.staples-locator.com to find the nearest store to you). These are the Linksys "Vonage" PAP2 (Model No: PAP2). They have a nice little Vonage advertisement on the front. The lower right hand corner should say, "Model No.: PAP2"! These units are basically ATA's. That is, it has two RJ11s you hook regular phones to, and a RJ45 that goes to your network. It takes your "regular phones" and turns it into a VoIP phone.
It gets better.... The unit cost about $50.00. Staples has a $50.00 rebate on these units, which can do online. You do not have to sign up for Vonage service! Free ATA/PAP2!
To download all the necessary files, click here.
It should be noted that we (Telephreak) did not come up with this method. We are just trying to spread the good word. I apologize for the crappy web page :) If you have any questions, use your new PAP2 to call the Telephreak conference ( http://www.telephreak.org), or hit us up via IRC [server: irc.telephreak.org #telephreak]
A BIG Thanks to Matt for this one...
Follow these steps and your Linksys PAP2 will be unlocked. Provider settings do not get erased.
1. you can get to the WEB interface and set the USER password.
2. Ideally, the device has never downloaded updates, or talked to the provider.
3. You have a TFTP server setup on your network
For this example, Assumptions:
PAP2 is at IP: 192.168.1.5
TFTP server is : 192.168.1.110
OK, lets go for it:
1. Put the following two files in the TFTP root folder. [File one:
2. Disconnect from the Internet (avoids downloading cfg files)
3. Boot your PAP2 in your network.
4. Browse to the web page of the PAP2.
5. In SYSTEM, set a User password of 1234
6. Click the SAVE SETTINGS button.
7. Refresh the link (you login with user and 1234)
8. Modify the link to show (in your web browser!): http://192.168.1.5/upgrade?tftp://192.168.1.110/PAP2SP2K.bin
9. Examine the status leds.. Power should turn RED when it is done. Give it a minute or two, dont interrupt it.
10. Once red, point browser at your PAP2. (our IP in this example is 192.168.1.5)
11. Click the "admin login" link near the top-right.
12. Click the PROVISIONING tab and set PROVISION ENABLE=NO. (go to advanced settings to find this)
13. Click SAVE SETTINGS.
14. Now, modify the link to show: http://192.168.1.5/upgrade?tftp://192.168.1.110/SP2KPAP2.bin
15. Done. Your Linksys PAP2 will eventually reboot (2 blue LEDs) (BE PATIENT) and you can click the "admin login" near the top-right. No PW needed.
This test uses specific firmwares.. These are not for any other use, so if you are looking for upgrade firmware for your PAP2, DO NOT assume that this will be them.. These are for unlocking your PAP2 unit.
Oh yeah. I was able to unlock two without any troubles.. your mileage may vary.
Again, Thanks Matt for all the work you put into making this possible.
-[End of post]---
* - I've read that if you factory reset the unit, it'll go back to its old Vonage ways.